Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tucker Orchestrates Fourth-Quarter Comeback Victory Over Kenyon

Tucker Orchestrates Fourth-Quarter Comeback Victory Over Kenyon

Trailing by four in the fourth quarter on Saturday afternoon, the Hiram football team put the ball in the hands of their senior quarterback, Randy Tucker, and the three-year starter came through, putting together a 17-play drive that gave Hiram the lead, and eventually, a 28-24 win over Kenyon.

Going into the fourth quarter, the Terriers found themselves trailing by 10 points, following a 15-0 frame by the visiting Lords. When the quarter began, Hiram was facing down a 24-14 deficit.

After totaling just 24 yards in two possessions in the third quarter of action, Hiram needed to find a way to move the ball down the field in the fourth. In order to do, they relied on both the arm, and legs, of their senior signal caller.

Following a defensive stand that forced a turnover on downs on the first play of the fourth, Tucker orchestrated a nine-play drive that ended in points. The biggest plays by Tucker came when he escaped the pocket on back-to-back plays, completing a 21-yard pass to Luther Fortson III and a 33 yarder to Moe Yarbrough to set the Terriers up at the Kenyon 24.

Looking at third-and-five from the Kenyon 19, Tucker once again eluded the Kenyon defense, scrambling for 14 yards to the four-yard line. Two plays later, he found Tahj Lorthridge for a three-yard strike to pull the score within a field goal, 24-21.

The Lords were able to move the ball slightly down field against the Terriers on their next drive, but stalled thanks to a sack from Chris Chester and Alex Meehan. The ensuing punt put the Terriers at their own 25 with just over nine minutes to play.

From there, Hiram's senior QB pushed the Terriers down field, using just one play over 10 yards (a 25-yard pass to Andre Dixon).

Hiram faced third down early in the drive, as Tucker once again danced out of a potential sack to pick up six yards on a third and four.

Later in the drive, it was Isaiah Jones gaining four on a fourth-and-two that kept the Terriers scoring chance alive. Five plays later, Tucker, supported by his offensive line, muscled his way into the end zone on a third and goal, to give Hiram the 28-24 advantage.

Kenyon would have one final shot in just their second drive of the fourth quarter, and would make their way down to the Terrier 41-yard line with just one second remaining. The final Hail Mary pass from the Lord's Thomas Merkle was knocked away by sophomore Quavius Hayes, and Hiram held on for the win.

Despite needing the fourth-quarter magic, the Terriers found themselves leading at the half, 14-9.

Hiram scored a pair of first-half touchdowns, including a nine-yard Isaiah Jones scamper in the opening quarter, and a 10-yard touchdown catch from Jaris Foreman in the second.

Additionally, the Terrier defense made a pair of big plays.

With the game scoreless in the first, Kenyon captured the first big play of the afternoon, completing a 52-yard pass to Ian Robertson. Sophomore Knowledge Wallace then chased down the Kenyon receiver, forcing a fumble which was recovered by Isaiah Azubike to negate the scoring chance for the Lords.

Later in the quarter, following a Hiram turnover, senior Quentin Anderson picked off Merkle on the very next play to give Hiram the ball back and set up the first score of the afternoon.

Hiram forced a total of three Kenyon turnovers on the afternoon, which also included an interception by Azubike. Will Davis-Hereford paced the defensive effort with 10 tackles, while Wallace added nine and Dominick Medina, eight. The Terriers broke up 11 passes on the day, led by four from Horace Johnson.

Offensively, Tucker finished the day with 231 yards passing and a pair of touchdowns. He also rush for a score. Foreman and Lorthridge each caught a TD pass, while Dixon led the corps with 87 receiving yards.

The running back tandem of Marquithias Johnson and Isaiah Jones combined for 127 yards on the ground on 26 carries.

The Terriers will next take the field on Saturday, October 20 as they travel to Wooster for a tilt with the Fighting Scots. Game time is set for 1 p.m.